Welcome!

I decided to create this blog, to replace my old one I had and was losing interest in and thinking and having things to post. Looking at my stats, I saw there was a lot of interest in my recipes I had posted. I do love to cook and have lots of recipes to talk about and post, and so decided to create this blog specifically for those of us that love to create in the kitchen! I hope you will follow this blog and be sure to tell your friends and family if you like what you see here. If you have a recipe you wish to submit, email me at jcdec63@msn.com and I will post it. Thanks for visiting! Granny J :D

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Substitutions

Here is some general information you might find useful in everyday cooking:


One ounce (1 square) unsweetened chocolate equals 1/4 cup cocoa.  In substituting cocoa for chocolate in a cake, increase shortening by 1 1/2 teaspoons.
If substituting chocolate for cocoa in a cake, deduct 1 1/2 teaspoons of shortening.
One extra tablespoon of milk should be added for every square of chocolate if using one of your favorite yellow or white cake recipes, as well as adding or subtracting shortening as directed above.
One cup of cake or pastry flour equals 7/8 cup of all-purpose flour.  If substituting all-purpose flour for cake flour, deduct 2 tablespoons from each cup of flour.
One tablespoon cornstarch (for thickening) is equal to 2 tablespoons flour (approximately).
One cup milk equals 1/2 evaporated milk plus 1/2 water.(I think I've used this one quite a bit in my cooking!)
Four tablespoons dried milk and one cup water equals 1 cup milk.
One cup skimmed milk and 2 tablespoons fat equal 1 cup fresh milk.
To sour milk, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to each cup of sweet milk.  Keep in warm place or stir over very low heat a minute or two until milk curdles.
One cup honey is equal to 3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup liquid.
One cup brown sugar, firmly packed is equal to 1 cup white sugar.
One medium egg yolk is equal to 2 tablespoons shortening (approximately).
One medium egg white is equal to 3 tablespoons of water (approximately).

No comments:

Post a Comment